[time-nuts] Next upgrade

Jerry Hancock jerry at hanler.com
Wed Nov 22 17:16:33 EST 2017

Three questions:

1) Now that I’ve split my Lucent RFTG-U into a REF0 and REF1 unit with both supplying 10Mhz and 1PPS, is there a way to combine the outputs or some other technique to improve the short and/or long term performance?

2) I’ve become interested in Rubidium Disciplined Oscillators recently and was now thinking of purchasing one of the PRS-10 that I see on Ebay. If I did that and replaced one of the DOCXOs from one of the Lucent boxes, what impact would this have on the overall performance both with and without (when in hold-over)?  Basically, is it worth the money to upgrade one of the boxes to a Rubidium disciplined oscillator assuming the GPS signal is rarely lost?

3) Figuring the PRS-10 will cost around $250 when all is said and done, is there a better option to improve my GPSDO system?

I basically use the GPSDO as a reference for any equipment that takes an input. I have no monetary need for a reference, just an interest.

Thanks.

Jerry