[time-nuts] Next upgrade

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Sun Nov 26 14:39:54 EST 2017

Hi

If you only run over 10% of the EFC range, you only gain 3 bits. If the objective is
in the 22 bit vicinity, (maybe 20 maybe 22 …) you really don’t get enough bits at a 10%
span. From a lot of years of playing with control loops, if you need 20 *good* bits, you better
have a few more than that in the design …. Indeed there are converters out there with 1/8
LSB performance. There also are a lot of them with “guaranteed monotonic” as the main spec.
In that case you may get 2 LSB of “jump” as you do this or that….

Indeed another alternative is to let the OCXO warm up for a month. Then adjust a pot to center
things up. Run a “fine range” ADC to keep it happy. Come back in three to nine months and
tweak the pot again. The main risk is a power outage and waiting a few weeks to get things
back up and running again.

A lot of this depends on how much of an EFC range you have and how much aging you expect.
If you have 4 PPM of EFC and expect 1x10^-9 per month that gets you a pretty small range. If
you have 5x10^-8 of EFC and expect 1x10^-9 per day, the entire EFC may not last you for very
long at all.

Another factor is temperature. Your OCXO may be happy at 1x10^-11 / C. If your control circuit
is good at the 5x10^-10 / C level that may be ok or it may be a problem. Either way, your control
range needs to accommodate both the OCXO and the rest of the circuit on top of the aging.

Bob