[time-nuts] In praise of service: PTF

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Mon Oct 2 13:58:36 EDT 2017

Hi,

I agree. Some companies have been generous with support, understanding
that it reflects on their brandname. Some even provide hardcopies for
manuals, scan scematics etc. when needed. HP/Agilent/Keysight have gone
along distance to provide support for their products, including those
retired decades ago. I have also seen those that terminated support
hard, and this have turned lots of equipment into pieces of junk once
that critical part dies and normal level of reverse engineering fails.
Those that provide the support with old service manuals etc. on the
other hand can usually be repaired up and decades after leaving the
market manifest the quality of the brand, and the quality of support.

If that brand still does quality engineering for the type of equipment
at hand, they go straight up on that short-list of places to check.

Building a brand-name and trust in customers take decades. Loosing it to
short-sighted cuts takes only a year, if even that long.

It is extremely rare to see that a company that was bought up and
consolidated maintains the standards it had. Sure, there is good
counterexamples, but the examples of the opposite is not encouraging.

Then again, there is little we can do, but we end up voting with the
wallet, and bring the business to those we currently think is offering
the needed service.

Cheers,
Magnus