[time-nuts] sine to square wave circuits - performance data?

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Tue Oct 3 20:59:34 EDT 2017

Hi

Things can get a bit crazy doing this:

The Collins paper pretty well shows that edge speed matters. A survey
of comparator data sheets will also suggest the same basic thing. Up to
some point (clipping maybe) increasing the levels into a chip improves things.

Not all chips will take the same max P-P input, so you can’t go to the same point
with each of them.  Some have strange breakpoints as you drive them.

Boosting an RF sine wave amplitude can be done with a transformer or with a
matching network. Each has it’s advantages. Both change the source impedance.
That may (or may not) impact the way the chip works. Ultimately things like broadband
phase noise must be impacted ….

It’s tempting to say that a fixed level test will give you a first cut at the various chips.
That may be true in some cases. I’d guess that it’s not a good idea to sort down very
far on that basis ……

Bob