[time-nuts] NTP linked PC clock is slightly ahead of Lady Heather GPS time

Rob Kimberley robkimberley at btinternet.com
Thu Oct 12 12:08:47 EDT 2017

Hi Martin,

Thanks for this.

Rob

-----Original Message-----
From: time-nuts [mailto:time-nuts-bounces at febo.com] On Behalf Of Martin Burnicki
Sent: 11 October 2017 18:17
To: time-nuts at febo.com
Subject: Re: [time-nuts] NTP linked PC clock is slightly ahead of Lady Heather GPS time

Hi Rob,

Rob Kimberley wrote:> I'm using the Meinberg NTP Distribution here with their NTP Monitor prog on Win10-64, and two GPS NTP servers.> > Config
settings: -> >    server 192.168.1.120 iburst minpoll 4 maxpoll 5>
server 192.168.1.121 iburst minpoll 4 maxpoll 5> > Consistent sub millisecond results. I've also found that Win10 actually performs way better than Win7.
This is because with Windows 8 and newer there is a new API call to read the system time with 100 ns resolution. The older API provides only 1 ms resolution.

ntpd uses the new API, if available.

Martin