[time-nuts] Distribution divider/amplifier for 10MHz GPSDO

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Mon Oct 23 17:07:59 EDT 2017

Hi

The only other thing to consider is switching stuff on and off. A distribution amplifier or a
tap system gives you some isolation between devices. One can go short circuit or back
feed a noise burst and the others will not be impacted.

Does this matter? In a lot of cases the answer is no. If you routinely run very long data runs,
the answer might be yes.

Another datapoint on the 8140:

ADEV through the typical tap comes in around 2x10^-11 at tau = 1 second. That’s not terrific
if you happen to have a Maser as your reference :)  It’s “as good as” most small Rb standards.
It’s also not going to hurt most GPSDO’s.

They are a cute system if you “suddenly” need 100 KHz to run something odd. They show up
on eBay from time to time. A complete system consists of a head end box, the taps (up to
some limit I forget at the moment) and the more or less unobtanium DC blocked 50 ohm
load for the end of the coax (hint: build one yourself ….).

Lots of fun !!

Bob