[time-nuts] Designing an embedded precision GPS time server

Chris Caudle chris at chriscaudle.org
Thu Oct 26 22:27:08 EDT 2017

On Thu, October 26, 2017 5:58 pm, Bob kb8tq wrote:
> Why go to the green?

Cheaper.

> Just go with one of these Pocket Beagles I have
> sitting here wondering what to do with them.

Pocket Beagles do not have Ethernet.  How are you going to make a network
time server from a board with no network?

> get two Pi Zeros for the pice of the Pocket Beagle. Lash an interface
> onto any of them (just like the Green) and get going.

I suppose you could connect a network interface of some kind using the
USB, but I have never seen a USB network adapter with hardware
timestamping.  Possibly they exist, but I do not believe that a driver
currently exists which could read the hardware timer on a USB interface,
you would need to create the driver (probably after you created the
hardware).

--
Chris Caudle