[time-nuts] R&S XSRM Rubidium Standard

Scott McGrath scmcgrath at gmail.com
Fri Sep 15 05:45:10 EDT 2017

Precisely my point,   But when purchasing i expect to pay for a calibration at a minimum.

 Helps to make friends with the local cal lab though as frequently far better pricing can be negotiated if you can get your instruments done on a  non-critical basis as most of the business of a lab is time sensitive but like any other business they have slow periods.

So your turnaround might be 3-4 weeks instead of 72 hours but the price is half of the 72 hour turn

> On Sep 15, 2017, at 4:07 AM, Clint Jay <cjaysharp at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Experience has shown me that you can reasonably purchase good, working test
> equipment that's well within calibration tolerances if you are buying the
> more 'common' equipment, 6.5 digit meters, frequency counters, even a
> Stanford SR620...
>
> I've been very lucky with those, two spectrum analysers and various other
> bits of test gear I'd never have been able to afford any other way, saving
> thousands over what even tatty examples from equipment brokers would have
> cost.
>
> Yes, you can get bitten and buy a complete POS but you can also take
> sensible precautions and get bargains.
>
>> On 14 Sep 2017 18:01, "Scott McGrath" <scmcgrath at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Its an unrealistic expectation that equipment from the well known auction
>> site will work and be 'in-cal'
>>
>> Its realistic to anticipate several the purchase cost to get well priced
>> instruments back 'in-cal'. But hey if i spend 2 k on a sweeper 3 k to fix
>> and cal it and BlahTest is charging 10k for a ready to go unit im Still 5 k
>> ahead of the game
>>
>> Content by Scott
>> Typos by Siri

>> Rubidium
>>> Nigel / David,
>>>
>>> Sorry to hear of your "bargain".   However I doubt very much that the
>> lamp was made by R&S themselves, like with the Racal 9475 unit it was
>> probably sourced either as a module or as parts from someone like Efratom
>> and one of those lamps will be found to fit. I'm not in a position to help
>> much at present (just coming out of Chemo).  My Racal which was in a
>> similar or worse state when I got that, now comes to life when needed.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Dan