[time-nuts] Weird GPSDO behavior

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Fri Sep 29 11:50:28 EDT 2017

Hi

If a simple GPS outage makes the GPSDO go bonkers, there is something
else involved. Noise jamming or flying saucers over the antenna should just shut
down the receiver. When it locks back up again, the disciplining should
resume. If it goes into a death spiral that pretty strongly suggests that the
math isn’t handling things very well. Indeed the math may never have been
tested for this case so it becomes “that’s the way it is”…..

20,000 seconds is errr …. 5.55 hours. A normal loop could take 10 tau to settle
to a reasonable level. That would put “bump recovery out around two days. The
sort of checks and tweaks that make sense on a 10 minute tau likely are not the
same for a 5 hour loop … It could indeed be a timeout timer saying “not settled
in a day? -  reset …”.

Bob