[time-nuts] quartz / liquid nitrogen

Dana Whitlow k8yumdoober at gmail.com
Mon Apr 2 16:30:39 EDT 2018

Is the thermal noise generated in the loss in a quartz resonator a
significant part
of the overall phase noise picture?  I would have not thought so.  I'd
think that a
greater benefit ought to be derived from chilling the other parts in the
oscillator,
such as the active devices.  Unless, of course, chilling the quartz
actually improves
the Q significantly, which I don't know about.

If cooling (whatever) by just a modest amount helps much, then one could
consider using Peltier cooling.  It doesn't really get things very cold,
but is a
lot more convenient than either dry ice or LN2.  But then you don't get the
fun
that you do when playing with LN2, either.

Dana