[time-nuts] Cheap jitter measurements

Gary E. Miller gem at rellim.com
Wed Apr 4 19:22:29 EDT 2018

Hal!

On Tue, 03 Apr 2018 13:06:43 -0700
Hal Murray <hmurray at megapathdsl.net> wrote:

> > What would you guys suggest as the cheapest way to see jitter down
> > to around 1 nano second?
>
> What do you mean by "jitter" and what do you really want to do?

I mean jitter as NTP defines jitter.  Whatever that is.

> Jitter usually needs a reference.  Do you have one?

I have a GPSDO, but that was why I was looking to add the Rubidium
standard to the mix.

> Do you have a scope?

Yup, still got my trusty Tek 465B, and it still works fine.  Cost
almost as much as a car when I bought it.

> The Rigol DS1102E is/was quite popular and is good for close to a
> ns.

Nice, but not quite fast enough.  I've settled on the Rb+TAPR-TICC
solution.

RGDS
GARY
	gem at rellim.com  Tel:+1 541 382 8588