[time-nuts] Cheap jitter measurements

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Sun Apr 8 20:37:05 EDT 2018

Hi

Without the ability to put out a “known good” time pulse there is no quick way to
check NTP. GPS modules suffer a similar issue. They put out a pulse and a
“correction” (sawtooth error) to tell you what they just told you. Doing the same
sort of thing with NTP may be possible.

Indeed the process of correcting this sort of data is open to a bit of debate. It does
give you a way to get around the “hey, all I can do is 300 ns” issue. With GPSDO’s
the correction is part of the standard firmware. It would be nice if one of the NTP
guru’s popped up with an equivalent process.

One *could* monitor various bits and pieces of the OS’s timing generation system.
Somehow that does not seem quite as much fun as looking at the whole result all
at once. Indeed it might be the only way to get it all worked out.

Bob