[time-nuts] Cheap jitter measurements

Dan Kemppainen dan at irtelemetrics.com
Tue Apr 10 17:05:45 EDT 2018

Hi Bob,

The performance counter does not use the system time calls, NTP, etc.
It's an independent counter clocked from raw CPU clock. So you have a
~300pS Timestamping counter in the processor. Why not use that hardware
to do the measurement? Does the signal have to exit the PC to measure it?

Yes, getting ~300pS out of the code calls is probably unrealistic for
various reasons, however 300nS should be easily achievable.

If you use the actual NTP PPS capture code with a few extra lines of
code added, you should be able to timestamp PPS and NTP values against
the performance counter.

David,

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the issue with the GetSystemTime calls is
they don't use the performance counters. They are system time related
calls and affected by UTC/NTP or other system time adjustments.

The bigger questions is how does NTP query the serial port? Is it in an
actual interrupt routine, or is the data captured via software driven
event? (I'm betting on a OS driven event).

Maybe the Dave Hart patches improve the PPS capture???

The bottom line is it all depends on now the PPS Capture event is
handled, and if that's even predictable enough or stable enough to prove
useful. The performance counter is, but getting the PPS code to read the
counter is still a software problem.

If you guys want to take this offline and chat about it further, I'd be
happy to discuss this without using up bandwidth here.

Thanks,
Dan