[time-nuts] TCVCXO Adjustment

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Sat Apr 14 00:59:02 EDT 2018

kb8tq at n1k.org said:
> The alternative is to plug a USB GPS into the mac and do a bit of code to
> compare things. If you want to pass the gizmo around to your friends …. that
> can be done. Pretty good ones are “sub $10” delivered.

USB GPS gizmos generally don't have a PPS and the timing on the NMEA
sentences is generally crappy.  (I may be biased by a few bad examples.)

Does anybody have a list of ones known to work well?

There is at least one GPS-USB with PPS, the Navisys GR-601W/GR-701W/GR-801W,
They were hard to get retail.  Looks like idealez sells them Taiwan for $47
for the 701W (Ublox 7), $50 for the 801W (Ublox 8) (plus shipping).  I
haven't tried ordering through them.  Gary and/or Mark may have some for sale.

----------

Plan B is a GPS breakout and a USB-serial breakout and a few wires.  4x less
USB jitter if your USB-Serial chip is full-speed.

I got mine from SparkFun:
Venus GPS with SMA Connector
  https://www.sparkfun.com/products/11058
USB to Serial Breakout - FT232RL
  https://www.sparkfun.com/products/12731

Google found this.  I don't know anything more:
  https://www.zti-communications.com/z050-gps-dongle/

--
These are my opinions.  I hate spam.