[time-nuts] TCVCXO Adjustment

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Sat Apr 14 21:18:04 EDT 2018

HI

> [...]
>

>> I'll let the original poster ponder on whether GPS on board is a good
>> thing or not, but I think you cannot count on GPS being available in use
>> (could be inside a steel building, or a steel reinforced concrete
>> building, with no RF reception), so you would still need a local
>> oscillator which could hold the rate tightly enough to guarantee less than
>> 33ms of phase drift over the course of a day.  Maybe you could relax that
>> to "working day" and say it's only over 12 hours, not 24 hours.
>>

> As you point out, given the need to potentially interoperate with existing
> timecode systems and the issue of problematic indoor reception, additional
> power consumption, initial lock in time, etc., I think trying to use a GPS
> in real time high create more problems than is solves.  But, having it
> built in could make off-line calibration easier.
>

>> What I think makes this potentially interesting to time-nuts is that the
>> time requirements are pretty loose by time-nuts standards, but potentially
>> some of the tricks that people come up with for getting ns level accuracy
>> on hobby budgets could be applied to this to find a way for non-nuts (or
>> at least not-yet-nuts) to get started on a really low budget.
>

> That was exactly what I was hoping for when I placed my initial post.
> While I've been following this list for many years, I still consider myself
> a novice "nut" as there are still many, many things I still don't
> understand about precision timekeeping.  I understand the basic idea behind
> frequency calibration, but I don't really know how to account for all the
> potential sources of error and handle them accordingly.  As I think I
> mentioned before, I started out by reading this NIST doc
> <https://tf.nist.gov/service/pdf/calibrations.pdf>, which starts out
> talking about the relationship between the measurement period and measure
> phase error to the frequency offset.  So, my simplistic ideas for
> calibration are, as follows:
>
> Idea 1: Use a relative long timebase to measure the frequency offset and
> tweak the DAC by one bit value at a time until the correction seems to
> converge on a range of values and then call that calibrated. But, this
> could take a long time and doesn't really give a way to tell the user how
> long the calibration might take to complete.
>
> Idea 2: Start with a short timebase, tweak until things seem to converge,
> then shift to a longer timebase and repeat, as needed, to increase
> accuracy.  It seems like this should be faster, but it's still seems like a
> crude approach.
>
> Idea 3: Come up with some sort of calculation (?) that takes into
> consideration the accuracy and stability of the timebase and the
> manufacturer's specs for the TCVCXO and use this to optimize the step 2
> approach by setting limits on the starting and ending measurement periods
> and perhaps the step size of the tweaks.  But, how do I know the accuracy
> and stability of the reference timebase?

Whatever you do is constrained by the accuracy of what you compare it to. There is no
magic involved. You have a reference accuracy and a measurement process that compares
the devices. Combine those numbers and you get a limit on what you can do. Unless you
consider those numbers, you aren’t going to get a solution.

in a commercial situation, you can afford a reference that is orders of magnitude more accurate
than the device you are working with. That cost money and time. You also can use equipment
that minimizes the measurement error, again there is a cost impact.

In a home lash up, there is no quick and simple “infinite accuracy” standard and no “zero error”
measurement device. You are up against some basic limits that need to be considered.

Bob