[time-nuts] 4046 replacement

John Miles john at miles.io
Wed Apr 18 07:34:51 EDT 2018

The tristate phase/freq comparator in the original 4046 had a dead-band problem that caused its gain to vary widely as it approached its normal operating point in a stable loop.  This wasn't so much a 'bug' as it was a consequence of the fact that there's effectively no gain when there's no phase error to correct.

Ulrich Rohde's book indicates that this problem was first documented in 1978 in an EDN article by some authors named Egan and Clark.  Newer PFDs implement the 'antibacklash' logic that Rohde mentions.  If you really must use a 4046, I'd look for a newer version whose data sheet explicitly addresses this problem.  Better still, use a newer part.

Another workaround is to force the PFD to stay out of its dead zone by loading the output lightly, e.g. with a 1M resistor.  You can never compensate for this effect perfectly, though.  You can probably expect some downsides like worse reference suppression.

-- john, KE5FX
Miles Design LLC