[time-nuts] GPS coordinate differences between APRS.FI and Google Maps

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Fri Apr 20 19:08:30 EDT 2018

Hi

In general the N/S E/W part of the location should be pretty good between various
reporting systems. Altitude … maybe not so much. These days, whatever GPS reports
as “location” generally is considered to be correct. Anybody using a different set of
numbers is expected to translate over to the GPS datum.

Various maps over the years have been surprisingly far off from reality. There are a number
of wonderful stories as a result. In addition, there are (as mentioned in other posts) a
variety of datum’s you might use for a map. Google Maps is a lot closer to GPS today
than it once was ….

Bob