[time-nuts] Better quartz crystals with single isotope ?

Brooke Clarke brooke at pacific.net
Sun Apr 22 17:29:22 EDT 2018

Hi:

Isotopes of an element differ in the number of neutrons.  The chemical reactions of an element are governed by the
electrons, which are the same for all isotopes, so chemical means can not be used to separate the isotopes.
There are a number of ways of making the separation, for Uranium see:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clinton_Engineer_Works#Facilities

It's not clear to me how the isotopes of water are accounted for in it's physical properties.  Have these been refined
and defined for each isotope?  This may be important since the properties of water show up a lot as the basis for other
definitions.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isotopes_of_hydrogen
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isotopes_of_oxygen

PS One of the names of the company I worked for was FEI Microwave. There was a rumor that the funder of that company had
a bunch of very special quartz in the vault and that crystals cut from that material had better phase noise than off the
shelf crystals hence he had an advantage over other vendors.
http://prc68.com/I/Aertech.shtml#Names

--
Have Fun,

Brooke Clarke