[time-nuts] nuts about position

Dana Whitlow k8yumdoober at gmail.com
Thu Apr 26 00:24:44 EDT 2018

It is true that most handheld GPS receivers have WAAS capability these
days; however the accuracy is more like 3 to 4 meters even with several
minutes of averaging.  I've always been puzzled by why it is so much
worse than good professional equipment can apparently achieve with
similar "features".  Perhaps it has something to do with the simple antennas
that handheld units use.

A day or two ago I had related the story of our survey at the Arecibo
observatory done with professional equipment.  Soon after that was
done, I took my handheld Garmin GPS60CX up on the roof and used it
to make the same measurement with WAAS corrections turned on and
about 10 min of averaging.  I don't remember the exact numbers for
the discrepancies between the two measurements, but they were in the
neighbor hood of 4 meters.  In fairness to the handheld, I should mention
that the position involved did not offer complete sky visibility- it was in
sort of a canyon such that the sky was visible only down to about 30
or 40 deg elevation to the east and west but with excellent low-elevation
visibility to the north and south.

Incidentally, Puerto Rico does have a WAAS ground station fairly close
to the observatory site, just off the San Juan airport roughly 50 miles
away from the observatory.

Dana