[time-nuts] Question about frequency counter testing

Oleg Skydan olegskydan at gmail.com
Fri Apr 27 14:47:03 EDT 2018

Hi

From: "Bob kb8tq" <kb8tq at n1k.org>
Sent: Friday, April 27, 2018 4:38 PM
> Consider a case where the clocks and signals are all clean and stable:
>
> Both are within 2.5 ppb of an integer relationship. ( let’s say one is 10
> MHz and the other is 400 MHz ). The amount of information in your
> data stream collapses. Over a 1 second period, you get a bit better than
> 9 digits per second.  Put another way, the data set is the same regardless
> of where you are in the 2.5 ppb “space”.

Thanks a lot for pointing me to this problem! It looks like that was the
reason I lost a digit. The frequency in my experiment appear to be close to
the exact subharmonic of the PLL multiplied reference. It was not less than
2.5ppb off frequency (the difference was approx 0.3ppm), but it still was
close enough to degrade the resolution.

Fortunately it can be fixed in firmware using various methods and I have
made the necessary changes. Here are Allan deviation and frequency drift
plots. The first one with the old firmware, the second one with the updated
firmware that count for the lost of information you mention.

The frequency difference plot also shows the measurement "noise" now is much
lower. It looks like I have got 11 significant digits now and my old OCXOs
are better than manufacturer claims by almost 10 times.

Thanks!
Oleg UR3IQO