[time-nuts] Rakon HSO-14

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Sat Feb 3 20:05:37 EST 2018

Hi

If you try “normal” machining techniques on a resonator, you are very
likely to create micro cracks in the material. Those are *really* bad for
aging and a few other issues ….. Much of the normal production flow of the
quartz is designed to keep the processes like sawing far enough away
from the “end product” that more gentle techniques can be used to remove
the (possibly) damaged material.

Since the slots are pretty darn small, there isn’t a lot of room for this and that
to be done when making them. There may well be better ways to do the
work today than back 20 or 30 years ago. It would still take a *lot* of effort
to validate a process.

Bob