[time-nuts] LED instead of discharge lamp for Rb vapor cell standards

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Tue Feb 27 19:05:46 EST 2018

Hi,

On 02/22/2018 02:53 PM, Bob kb8tq wrote:
> Hi
>

>> On Feb 22, 2018, at 8:22 AM, Attila Kinali <attila at kinali.ch> wrote:

>>> I have a hard time seeing how you can not get worse S/N that way.
>>

>> Well, the question is how much? Keep in mind that an Rb lamp is
>> anything but a clean light source.
>
> The point is that it’s clean where it matters. It does not dump a bunch of
> energy into the transitions that you want to avoid.

780 nm vs 795 nm if I recall correctly. A dash of energy isn't too
critical, but it will de-pump the state and you will suffer with
somewhat worse S/N. For a rubidiumlamp the two "lines" are about the
same strength and fairly wide.

The one thing to care about is polarization, since that will be a
pulling through AC Stark so a quarter-wave window should be used.

Servo the LED to the detected lamp response should help with stabilization.

Cheers,
Magnus