[time-nuts] Recalling and honoring our heritage

William H. Fite omniryx at gmail.com
Wed Jan 3 10:03:38 EST 2018

I was chided in somewhat patronizing terms by one long-time member of this
group a while back for "wasting our time with obsolete crap that no one
cares about."

Brace yourselves, I'm going to do it again.

Attached is a video (one of a series) documenting the design and
construction of mechanical watches. My sarcastic critic notwithstanding, it
is a mistake to disregard our horological heritage. This is from whence we
came. In a very real way, this is who we are.

Take a look at what can be accomplished with gears, wheels, and springs. It
is a quest for perfection every bit bit as serious and dedicated as the
quest for electronic clocks with accuracy in the attasecond range.

Or just mutter under your breath and smack the delete key.

https://youtu.be/hoO7PtR0ujY

--
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government
when it deserves it.

We may be surprised at the people we find in heaven. God has a soft spot
for sinners. His standards are quite low.
--Desmond Tutu