[time-nuts] HP 105B: Modern replacement for NiCad battery pack?

Gregory Beat w9gb at icloud.com
Fri Jan 5 15:40:23 EST 2018

Ulf -

Yes, this question, about the HP 105B, was asked in September 2016.
https://www.febo.com/pipermail/time-nuts/2016-September/100436.html

In Europe, it is virtually impossible (RoHS) to acquire NiCad batteries for past decade — unless you are an exempt entity.

IF you desire a DIY Build, examine these three (3) popular ICs for charger management.
Application Notes for these parts have typical circuits.

TI BQ24401
Switch-mode NiCd/NiMH Battery Charger
http://www.ti.com/product/BQ24401/technicaldocuments

Maxim (old Dallas Semi) DS2715
NiMH Battery Pack Charge Controller
https://www.maximintegrated.com/en/products/power/battery-management/DS2715.html

Analog Devices (old Linear Tech) LTC4060
Standalone Linear NiMH/NiCd Fast Battery Charger
http://www.linear.com/product/LTC4060

Jameco sells the old Linear Tech charger ICs.
https://www.jameco.com/shop/keyword=Nimh-Battery-Charger-Ic
===
> I am looking for a modern replacement for the NiCad battery pack used in the HP 105B. > One such 105 that I salvaged have been standing on a shelf with the batteries "happily boiling away".
> So, what kind of chemistry would be possible to use without too much re-design of the charging circuitry?
> Ulf Kylenfall, SM6GXV

Sent from iPad Air