[time-nuts] Anyone have a working HP-113AR/BR Clock?

Jeremy Nichols jn6wfo at gmail.com
Fri Jan 5 18:43:47 EST 2018

Thank you for the inputs. (I wonder what the original users of this thing
did in 1960?) To quiet mine, I purchased a small rack cabinet enclosure,
just big enough for a single 4U instrument, and mounted the 113AR inside
with all the remaining space stuffed with Finerglas® house insulation. That
has taken the edge off of the noise, making it almost tolerable. The next
step is a layer of automotive sound system butyl rubber insulation on the
113AR cabinet and on the clock mechanism itself.

Jeremy

On Thu, Jan 4, 2018 at 6:10 AM Bob kb8tq <kb8tq at n1k.org> wrote:

> Hi
>
> I would second the previous comment on the 113. Every time I have seen one
> it
> has been a really noisy device. Certainly *not* what you would want in
> anything
> described as a “quiet lab”. Since it’s full of gears (like a Teletype)
> proper lubrication
> and cleaning are going to be part of the process. The gotcha there will be
> getting
>  old lube out of odd places. I don’t ever remember anybody pointing to
> there
> unit and smiling …
>
> Bob
>
> > On Jan 4, 2018, at 1:15 AM, Jeremy Nichols <jn6wfo at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > I'd like to communicate with someone who has an HP-113AR/BR Frequency
> Divider and Clock, especially someone who has one actually operating. Mine
> seems to be noisy (motor/gear noise, not 1 KHz whine) and hard to start.
> Having never seen one of these before getting mine, I have no idea whether
> mine is normal or abnormal. It would be useful to communicate, via this
> list or privately, with someone who has more experience. Mine is an "AR,"
> serial 029-00156.
> >
> > Jeremy

Sent from my iPad 4.