[time-nuts] Adding the Rubidium option to a Symmetricom S200

Warren Kumari warren at kumari.net
Fri Jan 12 12:21:39 EST 2018

I was also wondering if anyone has the pinouts to connect an X72 to a
SyncServer S200 (or S250, S300, S350 etc), basically adding the Rb
option?

I've gotten it much of the way there, but it doesn't *quite* seem to
work reliably - from looking carefully at the sales brochure
(https://www.microsemi.com/document-portal/doc_download/133299-syncserver-s200-datasheet,
P3) it *seems* to just be a cable from an "X72 circuit card adapter"
(P/N 106568-002) to the header (and removing a jumper to use the
external oscillator).

It will happily show the Rubidium oscillator option
(http://photos.kumari.net/Projects/AtomicClocks/i-bTBhk7z/A), but
doesn't seem to lock reliably -- originally I was suspecting that it
was that the Rb wasn't being controlled, and that I needed to feed pin
11 (FREQ CNTL - Frequency control), but this doesn't seem to help.

There are a surplus of X72s (and similar, see Mark's SA22.c -> X72
connector board!) around, and many of the Symmetricoms were purchased
without the Rb option, so this seems like an obvious thing to do.

idea in the first place.
of pants.
   ---maf