[time-nuts] Suggestion for a timing GPS receiver (Trimble / Ublox /other?)

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Tue Jan 23 15:16:26 EST 2018

Hi

The T software does support locked position. If your antenna location is so bad
that this is of any use …. move the antenna. I can get full coverage with a modern
uBlox from a chair in the family room.

A bit more information: If you are in an “urban canyon” (or maybe a real canyon)
then indeed you can have some issues. In a normal suburban or urban setting,
you should be able to lock to > 4 sat’s pretty much 100% of the time. With the
newer modules (the 8 series) able to use multiple systems at one time, that all
becomes even more true. Any timing errors you *might* see hopping from system
to system are way below what would matter for stratum 1 NTP.

As noted earlier, if this stuff matters to you, setting up three NTP servers on your
LAN is a really good idea. Run them all off of GPS and all off of independent antennas.
If each antenna has it’s own “view” then your odds get even better on being able
to keep it all going fine. The GPS part of that is maybe $10 vs $30. The servers
are whatever you are paying for good single board computers these days. When they
go on sale, that could easily be < $100 for three of them.

Bob