[time-nuts] CSAC Project(was CSAC purchase)

Ronald Held ronaldheld at gmail.com
Sat Jan 27 19:29:37 EST 2018

Bob:
    Interesting but too general for me. Has anyone used a CPU to read
the CSAC outputs for time/date, and for improving frequency stability?
            Ronald

Hi

“Included software” on the CSAC is a pretty short list …. There
is not much past the “stuff” to set it on frequency and read out
a few alarms.

One thing that gets into a lot of these projects:

We are Time Nuts and spec things in terms of time. This error
over that period is some specific number. Maybe we look at
temperature rather than sit it on the shelf for a year. The number
is still a time error.

Pretty much everybody making devices spec’s them (and may think
of them) as frequency generating gizmos. They all spec a frequency
error over some condition (like a period of time).  Unfortunately time
error and frequency error aren’t the same thing.

This also gets into things like control loops. Generally the input is a
time error and the output is a frequency control. Same basic gotcha
the input isn’t the same as the output. Fortunately they are related
very closely to each other.

Bob