[time-nuts] Spectracom 8140T Line Tap Schematic

Charles Steinmetz csteinmetz at yandex.com
Wed Jun 13 23:28:48 EDT 2018

Nigel wrote:

> with far too many assorted internal photos plus details of said interesting discovery, with extra brownie points to anyone who might already be thinking foam and cardboard sandwiches:-)

Oh, my, that brings back memories!  That method of "encapsulation" was
used by a number of Rochester electronics firms of the era.  It was
developed by a good friend of mine with whom I worked at another firm
about a decade before Spectracom was founded, and was introduced at
Spectracom when he moved there.

It's hilarious now, looking at the crude PC layouts, the PC cards that
look like they were separated with hatchets (in reality, they used
heavy-duty, office-type guillotine paper cutters), and the "definitely
not near mil-spec" hand soldering job using at least 5x the optimum
amount of solder.  Spectracom didn't even have a dip-soldering
operation, much less a wave-soldering system.

It was a much, much simpler time, one rung up the ladder from hippies in
a basement....

Charles