[time-nuts] 50 ohm drivers

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Sun Mar 4 09:42:06 EST 2018

Hi

We have gone over CMOS 50 ohm line driving a bunch of times. Check the archives for all
of the various opinions. A quick summary:

If you are driving CMOS, the output swing does not have to hit 99% of the supply. You
can do a pretty good job with gates in parallel and no source termination.

If you want both source and load termination *and* want 5V p-p on the load, you will
need a 10V p-p source. Good luck if that source ever gets tied to a “normal” CMOS
input. Something made from 2N3904’s and 2N3906’s is probably your best bet (along
with dual supplies) if *really* want to do this.

Source termination (open load) is the low power approach. Cable reflections are minimized
and you don’t use a lot of power.

===

If all you are after is sine wave signals, a pair of gates running on 5V will give you 20 dbm
without a lot of effort. There aren’t many applications in the timing world that need more
power than that.

Bob