[time-nuts] WWV/CHU

Attila Kinali attila at kinali.ch
Thu Mar 29 06:49:01 EDT 2018

On Thu, 29 Mar 2018 03:12:24 -0700
Hal Murray <hmurray at megapathdsl.net> wrote:

> What do I need in in order to get time from WWV or CHU?
>
> Do I need a fancy receiver as a front end?  Do I have a chance with one of
> the low cost USB thumb drive size receivers?
>
> Is there an obvious software package to start with?  (Linux)

I think the easiest is GnuRadio... A quick googling lead
to https://github.com/jasonabele/gr-wwvb
I don't know anything about it so use at own risk :)
But at least it seems like something that can be done easily
on a rainy evening.

Normal RTL-SDR's do not work for WWVB as they have a lower cut of
frequency in the range of 20-50MHz...unless you bypass the tuner
chip and feed the signal directly to the ADC. As IIRC all RTL-SDR
give you something like 2Msps, that should be more than plenty to
decode WWVB and related signals. If you feed the RTL-SDR from an
external frequency source, you should be able to related that
frequency source to WWV.

			Attila Kinali

use without that foundation.