[time-nuts] WWV/CHU

Tim Shoppa tshoppa at gmail.com
Thu Mar 29 06:58:58 EDT 2018

It does not take a fancy receiver to hear WWV or CHU. Any super low end shortwave portable (less than $100) will do fine.

You then feed the audio into a PC with naps configured for NTP audio refclock.

The wideband USB connected DSP receivers are neat and I am using one for various purposes in the shack but not yet WWV. You would have to characterize one and it’s computer based DSP processing for latency.

Any such setup has to be characterized for latency (propagation + receiver+ soundcard) anyway. Sub-millisecond accuracy is a reasonable goal.

In continental US, one or more of the three 5/10/15 MHz WWV signals is receivable most any time of day. NTP WWV software knows how to cycle one particular model of receiver through the frequencies and can easily be modified to work with other computer-controllable receivers.

WWVH can be reliably heard for some of each day as well.

A recent QST or QEX had a nice simple 10MHz WWV receiver in it. I think it was oriented towards extracting 10MHz carrier and not for demodulating the time code, however.

Tim N3QE