[time-nuts] WWV/CHU

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Thu Mar 29 15:05:18 EDT 2018

Hi

There are a *lot* of HF receiver gizmos out there these days. Is $5 to much to spend?
Does the budget make it up to $300? Do you want to pick up *every* time transmission
at once? (as constrained by propagation).

For something like 5 MHz / 10 MHz WWVB plus CHU, there are $20 demo boards that look like
they would do the trick as.a direct sampling device. I haven’t tried one yet. I have no idea
how well they actually do.

My guess is that at HF, propagation will limit the usefulness of the carrier as a stable
signal. Anything that will drift less than a few 10’s of Hz is going to do fine to pick up the audio.
That’s not all that crazy hard at 10 MHz.

Once you do get the time ticks off of the audio, you still have a “millisecond” level accuracy
signal due to propagation. You also have a signal that will drop out from time to time ( unless
you live in Colorado).

Bob