[time-nuts] Racal 9475 Rubidium

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Tue May 1 09:16:36 EDT 2018

Hi

Ok, quick intro to Rb standards:

On an Rb you have a light bulb. It’s a really weird bulb but a bulb none the less.
On most (but not all ) designs the bulb has a finite life. Various improvements
over the years have stretched out the life. Just when which outfits did which
improvements …. who knows ….

Rb’s need to run hot. They have a couple of heated zones inside the physics
package. Heat and electronics are not a good combo. Various designs have
issues on the stuff inside the hot zones.

In addition to all this, they have crystal oscillators that drift. Once the oscillator
drifts far enough, the device isn’t going to lock up.

That’s a quick, very non-specific to your unit, list.

Bob