[time-nuts] WWVB: measuring local 60 KHz noise

brucekareen at aol.com brucekareen at aol.com
Sat May 5 13:05:49 EDT 2018

I have found the proximity of my home computer has kept a bedroom projection clock from locking to WWVB.  Apparently the noise radiation from the computer effectively jams the 60 kHz signal.

By setting the clock out on a deck about 30 feet further away from the computer, the clock locks up every time in about five minutes.  I take the batteries out to reboot the clock.  Otherwise it waits until after midnight to began searching for the WWVB signal.  Presumably the designers felt 60 kHz noise levels were lower at that time of night.

Bruce, KG6OJI