[time-nuts] 4046 replacement

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Sun May 6 07:18:00 EDT 2018

Hi,

On 05/06/2018 01:02 PM, Charles Steinmetz wrote:
> Alexander wrote:
>
>> but as I wrote a while ego ADI has a bit different chip which is free of
>> dead zone and much faster
>
> Hell, there are literally hundreds of PLL chips, lots of them better at
> various things than the 4046.  I did not suggest that the 4046/7046/9046
> is the best PLL for any particular purpose (and I did say I rarely use
> them).  My points were just (i) that the 4046 doesn't perform as
> terribly as a lot of people seem to think if you know a few easy tricks,
> and (ii) that the 9046 is better on all counts without the need for such
> tricks.
>
> It seems that lots of people like the 4046 series chips (including the
> 7046 and 9046), partly due to familiarity, partly because there are
> thousands of published circuits that use them and not everybody wants to
> completely redesign circuits that are already known to work, and
> certainly because they are dirt cheap (unlike the fancier Analog Devices
> parts, some of which are quite pricey).  I thought these folks might
> like to know how to optimize performance with the 4046/7046/9046 series,
> and to be reminded about the design tools available for them.

Well, my point was that I have seen it bite, but there is other
occasions where it doesn't bite. Still, better options can many times be
used, and many designs it can be good enough. If you use it without care
and knowledge, beware. That goes for any tool we apply, so bringing up
attention is already there a step on the way.

Cheers,
Magnus