[time-nuts] Simon Winchester: The Perfectionists

William H. Fite omniryx at gmail.com
Tue May 8 18:49:14 EDT 2018

Bravo, bravo, bravo! On several occasions I have pointed out that there is
more to time-nuttery than striving to achieve an Allen deviation measured
in zeptoseconds. The silence in response is always deafening. If I want to
struggle with phase angles of billionths of a degree, I can go down to my
basement Chamber of Horrors and do that. But I can also sit in my den and
listen to all my mechanical clocks fighting over who strikes the hour
first. I revel in the cacophony of Westminster, St. Michaels, Whittington,
Rochester, Magdalen, Parsifal chimes all sounding at once, sorting them out
in my head, savoring the dissonances. I dote on the barometric drive of an
Atmos, the twirling of an el cheapo quartz filament clock, the squawking of
a cuckoo, and the constant clatter of a Congreve

I have a cesium clock, rubidium, GPS, etc. in the Chamber and I love
tinkering with them but I will never put a quartz watch on my wrist or an
"atomic" clock, even a 60 cycle synchronous clock on my wall.

Different strokes, I suppose.

Bill

Westminster Quarters, Rochester Quarters, Magdalen Chimes, Parisfal Chimes,
Guildford Chimes