[time-nuts] HP 5372A

Dana Whitlow k8yumdoober at gmail.com
Fri May 11 14:21:13 EDT 2018

When I was working at the Arecibo Observatory and we were running the
ionospheric heater
at 5.1 MHz (think Mini-HAARP), I'd sometimes go home (about 3 miles away)
and listen to the
signal there.    There was frequently substantial random fading of the
signal, suggesting that I
was hearing the vector sum of an NVIS signal off the ionosphere and the
usual sidelobe leakage
from the dish.  Said fading could be said to have a characteristic period
of around 1 or 2 seconds,
and was occasionally quite deep.

So, I'm definitely a believer in short path propagation variations.

Dana   K8YUM