[volt-nuts] ...a guide to buying the HP/Agilent 3458A

Greg Burnett gbusg at comcast.net
Mon Aug 3 05:18:45 UTC 2009

Mark - a few questions that might be helpful to the rest of us...

1. How do we measure the internal battery voltage for the DS1230Y and
DS1220Y chips? ...Across which pin numbers?

2. Where can we buy the 3 chips for around $50? (That sounds like a good
deal to me.)

BTW, my first 3458A NVRAM battery failure occurred at 15 years, right in the
middle of a critical 6 month-long data collection experiment. So this was
catastrophic. In a second 3458A, the NVRAM battery failure occurred at 16
years. Over their lifetimes, I estimate those two units were powered up only
10 percent of the total time. So if someone powers-up their 3458A more of
the time (e.g. running 24/7 all those years), maybe they stand a better
chance of longer battery life? (These chips automatically disconnect their
internal batteries when Vcc rises above 3Vdc.)

The 3458A first went into production 21 years ago. Time sure flies when
we're having fun!

-Greg