[volt-nuts] Oil and molded components

Ed Palmer ed_palmer at sasktel.net
Wed Dec 16 18:40:10 UTC 2009

Dr. Frank Stellmach wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would be careful on the selection of the oil for the molded Z201.
> The oil must be highly isolating, very pure, absolutely humidity free,
> and must not contain acids or other substances which might affect the
> resistor element.
>
> From the vishay site, one learns, that the metal can type is
> hermetically tight, and if its oil filled, neither oxygen, nor water
> vapor can degrade the resistor element. These two properties only lead
> to the ultra stable 2ppm/6years drift.
>
> On the other hand, the molded type has a drift of 20ppm/yr., which
> means the resitive element is vulnerable to both, despite the mold
> compound.
> It's well known, that molded ICs also need a coating on the chip, and
> that water vapor diffuses into the mold, if the device is exposed to
> free air. (cracking during reflow soldering will occur)

Earlier in this thread there was mention of resistors that were coated
with shellac or lacquer.  Would it be possible to coat a molded resistor
to seal it from air, moisture, or oil?  Perhaps one of the high-voltage
varnishes like this:
http://www.action-electronics.com/msds/GC10-9002%20Spec%20Sheet.pdf

Ed