[volt-nuts] Oil and molded components

J. Forster jfor at quik.com
Thu Dec 17 00:20:55 UTC 2009

In a number of precision decade boxes I have, the resistors are wound on
Mica cards and painted with red varnish. I'm pretty well certain this is
the red Glyptal which has been around for ages (since WW II for sure). The
Glyptal company is very much in business.

A caution about painting and varnishing things: When they dry, they
shrink. I saw somebody paint the heat shield shroud of a spacecraft launch
vehicle. The paint shrank and the shroud did not separate. $54 M went into
the Pacific.

-John