[volt-nuts] Precision Reference Supply

Randy Evans randallgrayevans at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 24 18:57:24 UTC 2010

I was aware of the article you referenced and the scheme does work good( I built a variant of the circuit) but it does have a bit of ancillary electronics around it and does require some precision resistors, particularly if you try to go beyond 20 bits of resoution, and filtering can be a burden if you want reasonable settling time.  It is also limited to a DC reference due to low frequency fitlering requirements.

One big advantage of the AD5791 is that not only can you generate a DC reference but you can also use it to generate an AC voltage reference of 400, 1000, or 10K Hz, for example.

Randy Evans