[volt-nuts] Back to voltage was Re: Precision current source

Greg Burnett gbusg at comcast.net
Mon Aug 23 10:18:02 UTC 2010

I think, using statistical methods, you might improve your "system"
short-term and long-term stability by tracking the mean of the outputs of
your multiple voltage references, plotting control charts, eliminating or
devaluing individual poor performing references in the group (as determined
by comparison of individuals to the mean of the group), etc. But, as a
minimum prerequisite you'd want to characterize the TC of each contributing
reference - and then monitor and control your environmental temperature so
as to account for it in your process. This statistical process would be
ongoing over time, and your "system" uncertainty would be unknown until you
had collected enough statistical data over time.

For examples, see:

The Calibration of DC Voltage Standards at NIST
See: Calibration of Working Cell Groups (pg 246)
http://www.nist.gov/customcf/get_pdf.cfm?pub_id=23594

Metrology - Measurement Assurance Program Guidelines (NASA Ref. 1364)
http://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/19950018123_1995118123.pdf

Greg