[volt-nuts] Accurary and performance : any experience with the HP 34420A ?

Marvin E. Gozum marvin.gozum at jefferson.edu
Thu Aug 26 11:41:53 UTC 2010

Hello Sam,

I do not own the 34420, but looked at the 34420A some time ago.

It comes down to resolution versus accuracy.

The 34420 can resolve to 1pV while the 3458a to 10nV. But the 34420
is ~ 20 ppm, at 10Vdc, 90 days.  Its other ranges span between
20-60ppm for 90 days.  You can compare accuracy on your own from 24h
up to 1 year, as their spec sheets provide.

For the same time frame, the 3458a is 4.6 ppm, and between 4-6ppm for
all the Vdc scales, and this is without the high accuracy board.

As the last digits of all meters are the subject of most of the
uncertainty, without tight accuracy, you repeat the measurement, you
don't want to get something else.

As Bruce suggests the 34420 is a modified 34401, its basic platform
has limitations.