[volt-nuts] do you like Labview in your labs?

J. Forster jfor at quik.com
Mon Dec 6 15:49:39 UTC 2010

Why use LabVIEW?

Because it is largely a standard and a lot of bugs have been found. Also,
programmers don't screw with it, unbenownst of all the users.

A parable:

Many years ago, I was using a DG RDOS system. I had several large HDs (for
the day). A guy at Harvard, with a PhD and more, wrote a "backup" utility
that would back up a HD to mag tape. A single tape would hold a couple of
dozen disks, and cost about $10 vs. another HD platter at >$200.

I used it, but it had a bug, and predictably, I eventually had a system
crash. NP, I thought.

WRONG!

It turns out, the "backup" utility backed up ONLY DP0....   NOT THE OTHER
DRIVES.

That's a lesson I've never forgotten. It cost me near a year to recover.

Sorry, but I am simply not interested in home brew SW, no matter who
writes it. I do not trust any individual programmers for anything
important.

FWIW,

-John