[volt-nuts] Keithley 2001 Multimeter Fault

Alan Scrimgeour scrimgap at blueyonder.co.uk
Fri Mar 5 19:41:14 UTC 2010

I just  had another look at the Keithley 2001:
At power on the display shows "Model 2001" etc., followed by "Autoranging
DCV", with a row of dashes above it where the digits should be. Perhaps this
is all just the display processor at work.

I can see that the upper PCB and the lower PCB each have an LM2940CT-5. The
overheating one is on the upper PCB which has all the analogue circuitry on
it. I can't immediately see how to get the analogue PCB out without major
surgery and prefer not to risk contaminating it yet so I've just probed
around measuring resistance from the LM2940CT-5 output to accessible
capacitors positive terminals. I get 0.2 Ohms to pin 16 of a few digital
looking IC's, but nothing to any of the capacitors so I guess I'm going to
have to get the PCB out...

Alan