[volt-nuts] HP 419 & Fluke 845

Robert Atkinson robert8rpi at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Mar 26 21:35:27 UTC 2010

Hi,NE-2 is now  a very generic number. Lots of variation in detail design and materials. Many discharge lamps and devices use radioactive isotopes to maintain a low level of ionisation. Krypton 85 was commonly used in the gas mix. It has a half life of 10 years, it's decay may be a factor in lamp failure. Tritium is used in modern devices. Nickel 63 or Cobalt 60 can be used in the electrodes (normally only one to save cost) and sometimes Radium 226 was used in older devices (I have a 1B29 T/R tube that is quite hot). Often the choice of isotope was down to what was cheapest at the time. Note that at low voltages some LEDs  won't work in the dark either! To use an LED in place of  a neon (AC) just use two back to back. CDS cells peak around 520nm so a high efficiency green LED (LMP-LM65 to keep it in the family) would be a good choice at 525nm.Robert G8RPI.
P.S. I'm a Geiger Counter Enthusiast as well as a time and Volt nut, whole different set of measurement issues!