[volt-nuts] introduction

WB6BNQ wb6bnq at cox.net
Wed Apr 27 03:34:46 UTC 2011

Hi Fred,

Well, it sounds like the people that had this equipment really had no idea how to care
for it properly.  It also suggests that they did not know what they were doing and just
bumbled along.  Could be the reason the operation was shut down at some point.

No special manuals exist for the 731, 845 or for that matter most of all of the old
Fluke equipment.  Any inside understanding was gained through experience.

The best method you have for comparing against the cells is to use the 750A divider.
This divider is very high quality and hopefully the previous owners did not go inside
it.  The only truly accurate and stable output on the 731 is the 10 volt posts.  I
would hook up the cells and the 845 to their respective connections on the 750A and
then attach the 731's 10 volt posts to the divider string's main input terminals (as
shown on page 2-5) with the switch set to 10 volts.  Then do your inter comparisons
with the different cells in the Guildline.  You can use the cell voltage level switches
on the 750A for determining the cell values with the 731 acting as the reference.

The best you will be able to do (unless our 731 is calibrated) is to determine
differences between cells.  By taking readings several times a day over many days and
weeks you can get a picture of the cell activity and their stability.

If your Fluke 731 is not calibrated, hopefully you may find a known quality Cal Lab
that would provide you access to adjust your 731 to a known value.  Then that would
become your main reference.  Then you could assign values to the cells in the
Guildline.  From that bootstrap you should be able to arrive at a confidence level to
trust what is happening with the Guildline and eventually make it your Lab reference.
Or at least make the Guildline a faithful sanity check.  The problem with cells is you
need to constantly inter compare them to make sure they are behaving correctly and
remaining stable.

As the equipment, presummably, has not been compared or adjusted against a real
standard, I am not surprised by the offset readings you measured.  The best stable
voltage reference you have is the Fluke 731.  It would be well worth the expense to
have it calibrated with a high quality Lab if you have one near you.

Regarding the 720, Fluke was making those until just very recently.  I would see if
they could still provide you with the necessary parts to rebuild it.  It would be well
worth the effort in my opinion.

73....Bill....WB6BNQ