[volt-nuts] HP 3458A

WB6BNQ wb6bnq at cox.net
Sat Aug 6 06:46:58 UTC 2011

To All,

I would like to comment on “Cal Labs.”

First, a “Primary Lab” is one that has attained a very high degree of accuracy and stability in their in-house standards and their methods of measurement.  Typically, few such Primary Labs actually exist within the context of the word “Primary.”  At this level, the Primary Lab’s main responsibility is to make sure their “standards and methods” are above reproach.  This is done by inter-comparison with other Primary Labs and constant research toward improvement.  No adjustments are made, just the mere recording of delta differences.  Indeed, many “standards” are not adjustable, they merely exist and are known to be stable and repeatable to a very high degree, no matter their actual value.  This level of inter-comparison defines the quality of the Lab.

The “Primary Lab’s” second duty is to bring into agreement all subordinate secondary standards that are utilized by the next { lessor level } Lab under the influence of that particular “Primary Lab.”  That second level “Lab” is a working type Lab where “customers” equipment are calibrated (adjusted) and repaired, if necessary.

This second level Lab will have a high degree of capability, but the emphasis is not on “maintaining a standard” within the meaning of that phrase.  Instead, their aim is service and production (i.e., getting work done) relative to their customers.

The cost of a real “Primary Lab” that covers all the disciplines is beyond extremely expensive.  Besides NIST and some NASA sites, the Navy, Army and the Air Force each have a so-called Primary Lab.  However, they may not all cover every discipline.  The one I am familiar with is the Navy’s Primary Lab that covered just about everything and a Secondary Lab, both here in San Diego, CA.

A true Second level Lab is also extremely expensive, not just because they have to have multiples of equipment for production work, but equally have to have a given level of parts available for repair.  And they would typically have way more people employed than a Primary Lab.

Relative to the Navy system, with which I am familiar with, the hierarchy extended itself below the Secondary Lab by several levels each with different capabilities and responsibilities.  The Navy system’s intent was to service the fleet where and as needed.

Hewlett-Packard (the old company) is no different, as they need to service their fleet of Research Labs and production facilities.  To quantify their high quality instruments, they have no choice but to have some form of a Primary Lab.  However, to service their Research and production facilities, they also need a Secondary Lab that does the actual work of maintaining all the equipment within the HP environment.  Most likely HP has third level Calibration Labs in their system.  Additionally, they also need to serve their customers who want their calibration services.

Fluke also maintains a Primary Lab with capabilities that meet their needs.  I am sure they also have a Secondary Lab to do the work for their general needs and customer requirements.

What do you actually get for a given calibration job ?  It all comes down to the amount of money you want to pay.  For the basic calibration service the instrument would have to meet all of its specifications or be rejected and a repair request from the customer to proceed further.  Beyond the basic calibration service, you are paying for a paper trail on what the instrument was doing before and after, and any special requirements that you, the customer, requests.

The hp-3458A is NOT a Primary Standard !  At best, it can only qualify as a transfer standard at some level within a limited set of circumstances.  If you carefully read the specifications, you will noticed a bunch of conditions pertaining to the specifications.  For the 3458A to reach a given level of quality and reliance the user would have to meet all of those conditions.

The average user, generally, never even comes close to meeting those conditions.  The individual hobbyist never has a chance unless that person is very well off and builds a personal lab at a level few could afford.  First off, it is damn hard to control any reasonable size space to within a 1 degree temperature variance and adjust it to the TCAL value.  The end result is all you can count on is the worse case specifications taking into account all of the error variances which in the end means all those stated numbers get worse.

So, after all of the above, my point is that it does not make sense to spend more then what the basic calibration service offers you.  You would be better served spending money, first { on trying to improve your home lab } and second; buy at least four Fluke 731 or 732 voltage references and some extreme quality standard resistors from which you can use to verify the operation of your fancy meter after you fix the LAB !

Unless you are doing something life threatening with the equipment and need to cover your A** legally, it makes no sense to go crazy in the wrong places.

My two cents;

Bill....WB6BNQ