[volt-nuts] HP 3458A

Fred Schneider pa4tim at gmail.com
Sun Aug 7 04:50:19 UTC 2011

Calibration, is only testing and noting the deviation from the standard used. To adjust the meter to this standard is an extra service. And indeed shipping, other air humidity, other temperature ect and time will change this. I have a guildline cabinet. The papers it was calibrated every year in the 79's and 80's. I have the reports ( and some copy of the bills) because it came with all documentation . I got it as a gift from an internal calibration lab of a very big company. I was lookimg on the net to search info and I wrote some firms like guildline to find out more about these wonderfull cabinets. Then I heard that calibrating such a cabinet ( that was, if I lived in the USA, but over here it must be allso posdible I guess) was still possible and  transportation alone was 750 dollar)

Fred PA4TIM

Op 7 aug. 2011 om 02:13 heeft WB6BNQ <wb6bnq at cox.net> het volgende geschreven:

> This response illustrates the absurdity in the whole process.  The so-called
> "Golden Calibration" is only of value in shifting from a fixed standard to an
> instrument that can measure "in-between" values to a high degree if done within
> minutes of the set up.  It is called the transfer ratio and is the 24 hour
> specification.
>
> The absurdity to think your going spend additional money for the "Golden" part
> and get something is total BS.  Even the STE/9000 is the value at the time of
> calibration.  Bouncing around in shipping could certainly invalidate that value.
>
> Such antics could best be described as the cat chasing his tail.
>
> Bill....WB6BNQ
>

> gbusg wrote:
>
>> Hi Brooke,
>>
>> MU at 10Vdc for the "Golden Calibration" is in the range +/- 0.2 ppm, IIRC.
>>
>> MU at 10Vdc for the "STE/9000 Calibration" is in the range +/- 3.6 ppm,
>> IIRC.
>>
>> The "Golden Calibration" verifies the 3458A to its 24 hour specs.
>>
>> The "STE/9000 Calibration" verifies the 3458A to its 1 year specs.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Greg

>>> for all functions and all ranges. The Agilent web site seems to say the